Summer nights are most memorable when sitting around a campfire sharing stories and s’mores with family and friends. There is nothing quite like grabbing some graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows, toast them all together and there you have it, a s’more! National S’mores Day is August 10th.
The history of the s’more is an interesting one. The book Tramping and Trailing with the Girl Scouts, published in 1927, holds the first recipe for the s’more which is originally known as “some mores”. This unique names comes from kids always saying they want “some more of those s’mores!” Although it is unknown who invented the recipe, Loretta Scott Crew was the first person to make them for Girl Scouts. This allows the Girl Scouts of America to take ownership of the invention of the s’more.
To properly celebrate this special day, it is only necessary to whip up a s’more recipe of your own! Below are some recipes that are certain to satisfy that sweet tooth.
Peanut Butter S’mores Dip
1 lb. Mini Peanut Butter Cup
1 lb. Large Marshmallow
15 Graham Crackers
- Preheat oven to 350o
- Place peanut butter cups in an even layer on the bottom of a large oven-safe skillet. Add marshmallows in a single layer on top.
- Bake for 20 min. until marshmallow are golden brown.
- Serve with graham crackers for dipping and serve.
16.5 oz. (approx. 1 lb.)
½ Cup mini marshmallows
½ Cup graham cracker, broken down into small chunks
- Preheat oven to 325o
- Combine cookie dough, marshmallows, and graham crackers until evenly distributed.
- Using an ice cream scooper, place 6 scoops of dough on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 14 min.
- Take out of oven and Serve!
Easy No-Bake Milk Chocolate S’more Bars
Nonstick cooking spray
8 cups miniature marshmallows, divided
1 ¾ cups Nestle Toll House Milk Chocolate Morsels, divided
¼ teaspoon salt
8 whole graham crackers, broken into ½-inch pieces
- Line 8 or 9 inch square baking pan with foil leaving an overhang on two sides. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat 6 cups marshmallows, butter and salt in large, heavy-duty saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for 5 to 10 minutes, until smooth. Remove from heat. Add 1 cup morsels; stir until melted.
- Working quickly, stir in graham cracker pieces, remaining 2 cups marshmallows and ¾ cup morsels. Spread mixture into prepared baking pan with greased spatula, pressing down lightly. Cool for 2 hours or until set. Lift from pan; peel off foil. Cut into squares with serrated knife. Serve.
We all know there is no better way to enjoy a s’more than by spending time with family and friends. What better time to try them than during your summer vacation? Oceana Resorts has a wide selection of oceanfront suites and efficiencies featuring kitchens fully equipped with all the necessities to whip up these tasty treats right in your own room. Enjoy a s’more by the sea today!